Bring on the fence posts
Is it bad that I’m looking forward to going to work on Monday to rest? Let’s just say, we hit it pretty hard this weekend and made a decent amount of progress to show for it. In between the donkey stories from Jenna’s posts, you may have gleaned that our focus right now is to get that interior fence up. We need to be able to separate the animals. They are just too curious and annoying for their own good. So, we started putting in some H-posts every ~300 feet, and this weekend we put in all but one of the cedar support posts in the first 300 foot section. We’re using cedar logs from a lot of the trees I’ve been massacring over the last year and half. In between the cedar posts, I’ll be putting t-posts in which will give me spans of about 10 feet between posts. Later we’ll be putting up field fencing, probably goat/sheep fence since goats are probably in the cards for the future. The cedar posts went in pretty well. This is another testament to how amazing Bambi (read: technology) is. With the help of a family friends auger connected to Bambi’s back side, I was able to drill about 17 holes this weekend. Some were drilled in about 2 minutes, but others took an hour or so of drilling, cleaning out rocks, breaking up clay, and re-drilling. That rock bar gets pretty heavy after a couple of these holes. Hence the desire to get back to my desk job to rest up. Back to the technology is cool statement, my appreciation is even stronger because of a discussion with my grandfather last weekend. I was explaining my plan, and he started to tell me about all of the fence post holes he had dug by hand when he was a kid. Screw that.
Jenna did most of the tamping, so those posts are solid!